It is currently 1pm on January 1, 2017 and I can’t help but reflect on how different it is to spend new years outside of your “home” country.
I decided to finish 2016 in Argentina visiting my family that I have not seen in 2 and ½ years. It is and was a great idea.
For those who have never spent the holidays in a Latin American country here is some key information to prepare you:
- You will be sweating all day on December 31st as if it truly were the last day on Earth. It reached 40 degrees Celsius in Cordoba Argentina – plus thermal sensation.
- You will need to take a siesta to keep up with the locals
- You will not be having dinner before 10pm
- You will be spending the first hour of the new year (i.e. from 12pm to 1am) with family ringing in the new year
- You will gather all the energy you gained in your siesta to go out with friends at 2:30am
- You will not get home until after 5 in the morning
If this sounds like a great time to you – which it is – then you need to plan new years in the south.